Serve as Our Executive Director
Global health challenges are growing, the effects of climate change are becoming more pronounced, and food insecurity is increasing for millions around the world. Yet at the time when we need them most, many innovators are opting out of working with USAID and other public institutions.
The status quo too often pays for poor performance and few results. It favors public tenders that are so large and so complex that only a handful of firms in the world can compete for them. Meanwhile, resource-intensive compliance and administrative nonsense keeps new energy on the sidelines.
With the guidance of a bold, effective Executive Director, the Unlock Aid Coalition will shape a sector where public dollars are more accessible to smaller innovators, empowering them to tackle the world’s most pressing problems. Here’s how we’re going to do it:
- Change the Rules: Our coalition combines the traditional DC “inside game” of working directly with policymakers with a powerful “outside game” of public advocacy. We’re not going to win despite the challenges; together, we will champion a policy agenda that reshapes powerful public institutions into effective catalysts for global good that we can proudly pass on to our grandchildren.
- Shape the Sector: Goliath isn’t ready for all of our Davids. Our members share insights on which prime contractors are great partners — and which ones to avoid. Through our collective intelligence, built around aligned incentives rather than zero-sum competition, the Coalition can not only protect its members, but also create powerful motivations for the massive incumbents to improve.
- Strengthen Innovators: Membership provides immediate value through shared resources, such as legal guidance, regular briefings that simplify the arcane world of government aid procurement, and community-building designed to forge collaboration.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, you will have strategic and operational responsibility for the Unlock Aid Coalition and the execution of its mission. Additional responsibilities will include fundraising, recruitment, and outreach.
Outreach and Communication:
- Promote a pro-innovator advocacy agenda on Capitol Hill and with other global development institutions.
- Build awareness of Coalition priorities through thoughtful, earned media and targeted advertisement.
- Expand the Coalition’s online presence, including its website and social media.
Strategy and Operations:
- Collaborate closely with the Board of Directors to sharpen the Coalition’s mission, design, and organizational strategy.
- Manage the organization’s budget, staffing, and expenses.
- Mold the founding member experience and establish a cadence of member briefings.
Fundraising and Recruitment:
- Expand foundation fundraising efforts to secure multi-year operational resources.
- Identify and recruit new member companies, allied foundations, and other partners.
- Create and maintain a strong Advisory Board of experienced aid professionals.
- You have Capitol Hill experience and/or have served in a senior role at an Executive Branch agency and/or have executed advocacy campaigns.
- You understand and are passionate about aid policy and reform.
- You are a persuasive communicator with excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills who can effectively convey Unlock Aid’s mission and strategic future to staff, board members, donors, and the general community.
- You can engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultivate donor relationships to generate new revenue streams.
- You are a team player who can collaborate effectively with diverse groups and coalitions.
- You have strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
- You are action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative.
- You are passionate, idealistic, and mission-driven.